Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Tuesday Aug. 10th, 2010-Monte Carlo, Eze

The Mediterrean is the most amazing cobalt blue I have ever seen. It is truly an unreal color. We woke up this morning docked in Monte Carlo, Monaco. We left the ship first thing in the morning for our tour of Eze, France.
The area surrounding Eze was first populated around 2000 B.C. It was held by the Romans, then the Moors who were driven out by William of Provence in 973. In 1388 Eze fell under the jurisdiction of the House of Savoy who built it up as a fortress because of its proximity to Nice.
This is a path that goes from the middle of Eze down to the beach. Our guide told us about several famous authors who summered in Eze and would wander up and down the path to get inspiration.
In April of 1860 Eze became part of France and has remained as such ever since.

Our tour included a hike all the way to the top of the fortress. The views of the Mediterrean and the coast of were amazing!

The picturesque walk to the top wound us through tiny, ancient walkways and stunning buildings.

Another Where's Waldo picture! Hello Michele. ;)

This mosaic is made of stones carried up from the beach below. It is about 3000 years old and yet, here we are walking on it!...Well other people walked on it--we just stepped reverently around it.

You can see the beach of Monte Carlo behind us. Notice the permanent grins on our faces?! And my really unattractive strap from my backpack. Oh well, I am in France--who cares!

We affectionately dubbed these "Tuttle Tuttle Trees". We spent a lot of time fantasizing about having breakfast on that balcony in the background!

Crazy stuff grows at the top of Eze. We were fascinated by the vegetation.

Amazing tiny walkways lined with apartments and shops. Michele found a perfect Audrey Hepburn hat.

Spices! I think they knew I was coming! I bought Black Hawaiian sea salt, Red Hawaiian sea salt, Cumin, and Curry. Amazing.

Michele bought a beautiful painting on the way down from the mountain. The guy got it off the easel and into the bubble wrap before I could get a picture. Here Michele is explaining to me that I am taking a picture of the wrong picture! ;) I know that! It is still pretty. And how exactly are we going to get that thing home? Ha--we are fricking geniuses so it wasn't even a problem! Hey, where did you hang it anyway?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hung it on the wall between my girls' bedrooms, with the drawing Sophie did of me when I was pregnant with Bella and a sketch of a man teaching his child to pray. Perfect grouping!!

garhales said...

Remember the first time I was at your house---that was your "art" I was most impressed with and asked the most questions about. I knew then that we were going to be great friends--but I had no idea! Perfect spot!