Wednesday, December 29, 2010

14 August 2010, Saturday-Santorini


Once upon a time Santorini was one solid island, actually that isn't entirely true--Once upon a time Santorini was a humongeous volcano. Well, you know what volcano's do--they erupt.

The last eruption was in 1950 followed by a major earthquake in 1956-Sooo...Santorini is now what is called a "Tender Port". That is because the islands are compised mostly of sheer cliffs and the ship has to dock in the caldera.

What is a caldera you ask...That is the still active crater of a volcano that is now less than 300 feet below the surface--you know...right below our boat! BTW--that isn't our ship that you see above, it is a Carnival ship-the one with the water slide but they were on a similar path as us and we saw them at several ports--Heee heee--our ship was A LOT bigger!

This is us on the most amazing sail boat I have ever seen--just beautiful-I think it was the Black Pearl :).

Can you see the white houses perched on the cliffs--crazy Greeks just like a little challenge I guess.

Here is a picture of us at about 7:45 in the morning headed out for a fun little hike-- we mused at the early hour until we stepped off the ship. I swear that this was the hottest day I have ever experienced in my entire life. Not lying. And what do we decide to do on the HOTTEST DAY

ever know to mankind? Only to take a little hike to the top of one of the steam vents of the volcano. Yep, cause we must be a little Greek; there really is no other explanation.

Here we are on the most desolate, lava rock covered place I could have imagined. Michele and I both called BS when the guide told us that rabbits, rats, and lizards live on this island. Lizards, ok-rabbits and rats-NO WAY!

You can sort of see the fog in the air--it is from the heat-and it is like maybe 8:30 a.m. right now. Did I mention that it was seriously amazinly hot. There are no words.

If you are so freaking hot you seriously feel sweat running down your back, arms, and legs and you just do nothing because there is nothing you can do about it--what do you do? Oh, I know! Stick your hand in a steam vent--Hey Michele--I think were were hiking in the freaking steam vent--I bet you didn't feel a think, eh? Notice I opted out of this experience and chose to be the photographer-yep, I am that good.

Can you see my hair? There is no wind--it is just blowing up because of the freaking heat. We do not glow--we are sopping wet!

For about one 1 millionenth of a second I thought I was in Wyoming.

But isn't it beautiful--sort of like having a baby--you get to the top and see that view and you forget all the pain!

Breathtaking--still hot!

Awww...time to head back already? I could stay up here all day!

Just a big pile of lava that could blow at any minute. Funny thing--I wouldn't have missed it for the world and all the heat was kinda part of the fun. I am starting to get this Greek thing.

When we were at our cooking demonstration in Corfu (later in the trip) we met some people from Canada who had gotten married in Santorini on August 7th, flew to Rome, boarded the cruise, and while we were here this day they went back to the church and said hello and picked up their wedding photos fromt the wedding planner--yah that wasn't cheap!

So amazingly beautiful!

So we sort of followed this other sailing vessel as we left to head back to the ship. Of course they took us the scenic way which was super fantastic given that it was like 195 degrees centigrade and we had no shade and the sun was reflecting off of the water.

When people on the other boat veered into a lagoon and began to disrobe and jump in, I was about to do the same--clothes and all--so did not care at this point. Our boat kept going and speeded up-I think he knew what might happen if he didn't get us out of there. The other group had paid to go to this lagoon as part of their tour--some sort of healing properties and minerals, etc. from the volcano--and HEATED water--Soooo glad I kept my wits. Imagine how upset I would have been to jump into a warm bathtub.
Back on the ship, AC, lunch, siesta, work out, pool, pictures, and Cary Long--the comedian is Cary Long. Progressive dinner meant appetizers at one place, salad at another, dessert at another. Day ended with Movie Under the Stars (Iron Man) and a chat with my kids!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Reading this made me laugh out loud:) That heat is like a dream now. I remember the sensation of sweat running like a river down every inch of my body, but was it REALLY that hot? Is it possible that this kind of hot even exists when it's -7 degrees right now in my world? Good thing we're such great record keepers....