Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Liberty Bell




I have waited my whole life to see the Liberty Bell. Friday we left Bowling Green at about 6pm. We drove until midnight and got a motel. Sat. morning we went into Philly and had a ball seeing all the stuff! We saw the Liberty Bell, Independence Hall, and the iconic Benjamin Franklin in the rotunda of the Franklin Institute.


We didn't realize that we would be right in Philly's china town (That wasn't the only part that they forgot to mention in "National Treasure")! The sights and smells were amazing. Lexie was mesmerized by the baby who wasn't "crying in English". Brady was so excited to give some money to the street musicians. Man could they play!

I just thought this was a cool building.



Just across the street from Christ Church Burial Ground is the United States Mint at Philadelphia. Gary was very sad that it was closed for the weekend. Next time we will have to go on a weekday.

I swear I did not pose this picture. I was on the steps to leave and turned around to say something to Gary and this is what I caught. Anyone who knows Gar won't be a bit surprised that this was the thing he was most interested in from our trip! :-)
Somehow my pictures of Benjamin Franklin in the rotunda didn't turn out. I was really sad about that but oh well. The landscape was so beautiful, I loved taking shots of all the dairys.



We came home through Pittsburg and got some shots of the Alengheny River and Heinz stadium. The Steelers were playing on Saturday evening so all the fans were out tailgating. We could smell their barbeques from the highway! Yum.


The route we took was right through the Appalachians and the Alengheny mountains. There were tunnels more than 1 mile long and you can see that the trucks barely fit.


Double click on this picture of the semi and you can really see how close the trailer is to the top of the tunnel!


5 comments:

Fig said...

I am jealous of your fun trip - you guys are such an adventurous family.

My dad is totally obsessed with Mints. Mints? That sounds weird. Anyway, he wants to be wherever they are making the money.

garhales said...

Gary is an avid coin collector and was so pleasantly surprised to turn his head and see the mint! Not the kind of "mint" that I obsess about that is for sure!

garhales said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
garhales said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Carrie said...

Philly! My old stomping grounds! There is a big mint in DC too that we took a tour of and the kids loved it! Glad you had fun!