Sunday, July 26, 2009

WAFFLES!!!!


Waffles have long been my culinary nemesis! I don't like soft waffles but I also don't like them crispy all the way through. I want crispy on the outside and light and fluffy in the middle.

I have tried recipe after recipe and all resulted in average to below average results. Limp and heavy, dry and brittle; but never exactly right. Sometimes I got really close, but never exactly right.

I finally found a recipe that seemed like it might be "the one". I am a basically a lazy cook. I usuallyjust put all the ingredients into a bowl, mix it up and go. Waffles, I have learned, are a little more technical than that.
The first try resulted in mis-measured flour and something akin to biscuits. I learned that there is a multiple step process that involved beating egg whites, whisking gently and putting the ingredients in the mix in a certain order.
Waiting for the green light was torture!

I am so proud, I finally made WAFFLES! We ate them every morning for a week; my kids were shocked and happy with my new skill! They even were great when re-heated in the toaster. I would have made a batch and froze them for quick breakfasts but there was never enough batter left over! :-)


6 comments:

Carrie said...

SO WHERE IS THE RECIPE, KIM!!? My friend gave me one of those belgian waffle makers that you flip over like the ones at hotels and we LOVE it, it's SO AWESOME, and the green light comes on when it's done...I only wish it beeped, because I'm a distracted sort of cook, esp if I'm chatting or e-mailing while cooking. haha!

garhales said...

I want one with a beep too! I am always missing the stupid light and getting a little over brown on the waffle!

Bethany Hawkley said...

Hahahahaha, remember that time I was supposed to pick what we ate and I picked waffles and you said you didn't make waffles??? I laughed so hard and couldn't figure out why not. That was so funny. Glad you are now a waffle maker sweetie. :)

garhales said...

I finally conquered the evil waffle conspiracy and now, you can make me waffles any time you want OR--I will make them for you!

Mom said...

The beeping when the waffle iron is ready and when the waffle is done is why you are getting the waffle iron that "Santa" is bringing for Christmas but that waffle iron you are using looks really cool and now that you have "The Recipe" you will able to make twice as many twice as fast.

garhales said...

OHhhhhh mommy! Hip Hip hoorrray for the mom who finds the best stuff ever! I am sooooo looking forward to Christmas now. Hey, if you bring it to me--I will make you waffles for Christmas breakfast--I know you wanna....:-)