Saturday, August 23, 2008

A day in the life.

Today I went to BGSU and got my books, student id, and met some very helpful people in adult learner services that want to help me unravel my transcript and actually get me to graduation in the next few years. I was so relieved to meet someone with a can do attititude rather than feeling so alone.





While I was there, all of the students were moving into the dorms. Man o man this place is a lot bigger than I thought. 7,000 students, parents, and siblings all descended on the campus beginning at 8 am. I had never had an experience like that. The university was very organized and it all flowed easily and I navigated it with ease. No long lines, etc. BGSU boasts 20,000 plus students which is funny because BG (Bowling Green) the town is only about 26,000. For more BGSU stats check out their web site at http://go2.bgsu.edu/choose/welcome/ you also can see a few pictures of the campus.





The main campus is quite old and very beautiful. The buildings are mostly made of large block brick or stone. There are beautiful vines and foilage growing up the sides of all the stuctures. It has a feeling of being the grounds of a castle or court; the many trees and landscaping offer shelter to squirrels, bunnies, red cardinals, and others. I truly feel like I am stepping back in time when I am there.





I will try to get pictures up as soon as I can.





Brandon went on his first band trip yesterday. He didn't get to march out on the field but he wore the uniform (white shoes, white shorts, and a red polo style shirt), played in the bleachers with the band during the game, and he (and 5 others) held the ladders for the directors during the half time performance. He did go out on the field to participate in the "band dance" which he has worked very hard to learn. It was exciting and scary to send him off to Toledo. I had to keep reminding myself that he was only 25 minutes away--just like driving to Vernal.





He had a ball and has made a lot of friends on the band. They even assigned him a secret sibling so he came home with his first care package from his secret sib. (more sugar than should ever be legal); and pixie stick in his hair!



We ended the night by going to a dutch oven cooking class at some people's house from church. It was really fun to socialize and be able to ask some intelligent questions about the community. People are very friendly and more have direct connections to the West and Utah than we had anticipated so most wanted to talk about where they are from and what brought them here. There are some, however, that are from the East or Midwest and I think they enjoyed us asking them so many questions.



Gary is learning all about the local college football scene and who roots for who; I outed him as a non-BYU fan and so all now have fodder for harrassing him. One guy even invited him to join his college football "smackdown" blog. Gary may whind up needing his own laptop during the fall season!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea football!

garhales said...

I know, I can hardly wait! I actually talked to a guy who "knows a guy" that has season tix to OSU. This is a co-worker and I guess he regularly sells his tickets. Roy is going to discuss the USC game with him and see what his says. Hmmmm, that trip out here could be more of a reality that Ryan originally thought! The only bad thing is that there will probably only be 2 tickets available instead of 4. :-( But we will worry about that later.